Western Auto Sign: Kansas City, MO
The Western Auto Building was built in 1914 as a regional headquarters for the Coca Cola Company, providing space for bottling, warehousing, and offices. In 1950 Kansas City-based retailer Western Auto Supply Company bought the property and erected the building’s eponymous sign in 1952, replacing an earlier Coca Cola sign. The WESTERN AUTO sign measures 70 by 73 feet. It has 1,000 feet of neon tubing and 2,500 incandescent bulbs and weighs in at 30 tons. When the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the sign was included as a historic feature.